Getting a driving licence in Dubai is an important aim for many citizens and expatriates. A driving licence allows you to travel much more freely within the city and even across the country.
The process of getting your licence in Dubai may be difficult, but don’t worry! We will assist you through every step, from the needed documentation through the driving test and beyond.
With the appropriate knowledge, it may be a quick and easy procedure, and you’ll be driving in no time.
What Are the Processes for Getting a Driving License in Dubai?
Getting a driver’s license in Dubai may be a simple process if you meet the relevant qualifications and follow the correct processes.
Here is a general overview of the process:
- Open a traffic file in one of the driving institutes approved by the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA)
- Take an eye test at any centre approved by the RTA
- Complete all required driving lessons, both theoretical and practical.
- Take all internal tests at your chosen driving institute
- Go through the final test at the RTA
- Receive your UAE driving license.
Before taking the RTA driving test, you must first take driving lessons from an RTA-approved driving school.
1. What Are the Requirements for Getting a Driving License in Dubai?
To apply for a driving license in Dubai, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be at least 17 years and 6 months old or above.
- Complete driving training and qualifications at a RTA-authorised driving institute.
- Pass the driving tests, both theoretical and practical.
- Pay the required fees to issue the driving licence.
- If you want to obtain a commercial driving permit, you must also pass a medical examination for drivers.
It is important to keep in mind that only people above the age of 18 will be issued a driver’s license.
Requirements for Special-Needs People to Get Driving Training.
- People with mental or physical disabilities must develop a training plan based on the suggestions in their relevant medical assessment.
- The driving school, in collaboration with the Drivers Affairs Department, shall establish the number of training sessions necessary based on the kind of handicap mentioned in the medical report.
2. What Documents Are Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Dubai?
To open a traffic file in Dubai, you must provide the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) with the following documents:
- A copy of your passport and residence visa page (for foreigners)
- A letter of no objection from your sponsor
- Your Emirates ID card and a copy
- Four passport-sized photos
- An eye test report.
If the RTA requires you to take driving lessons before you may get your license, you must enroll in one of the RTA-approved driving schools mentioned below.
These institutions have satisfied the RTA’s requirements and are authorized to provide a variety of driving courses and programs.
This includes classes for new and experienced drivers, as well as specialized training for commercial and heavy vehicle operators.
|Emirates Driving Institute||+971 (0)4 263 1100|
|Belhasa Driving Center||+971 (0)4 324 3535|
|Al Ahli Driving Center||+971 (0)4 341 1500|
|Dubai Driving Center||+971 (0)4 345 5855|
|Galdari Motor Driving Center||+971 (0)4 267 6166|
|Drive Dubai||+971 (0)4 885 5118|
What Are the Many Tests You Must Pass?
To get your driver’s license, you must first pass the following three exams in the following order:
- Theory test
- Parking test (also known as the Yard Test)
- RTA Road Test.
In this part, we’ll go through each of the driving license tests and what to expect during the procedure. We will walk you through all you need to know to successfully earn your Dubai driving license, from the initial theory exam to the final road test.
Individuals in Dubai must first pass a theory test at an RTA-approved testing center in order to receive a driving license. You must pass it before taking the parking and driving tests in Dubai.
It will test your understanding of traffic rules and regulations, road signs, and safe driving techniques. It is taught in English, but it is also available in Urdu, Arabic, and Telegu.
- Carefully read and study the RTA Handbook
- Download the RTA driving test app for access to sample questions of the theory test
- Practice using online mock tests to gain confidence in your understanding.
Test of Parking (Yard Test)
You will take the parking test at the driving school of your choice. Throughout this test, you must demonstrate your ability to use the two most prevalent parking methods: parallel parking and reverse parking.
Also, if this makes you worried, don’t worry since your driving teacher will usually allot enough time just for parking.
This means you’ll have lots of practice under your belt before your exam.
Road Test for RTA
This is the last step before you can acquire your driving licence!
The RTA will administer the driving test to you. You will be driving on public roads with an instructor throughout this exam. You will be evaluated on your ability to drive safely alongside other vehicles on the road, as well as handle turns and U-turns.
Also, you will receive the results immediately following the exam. If you fail the exam, you must take seven additional driving lessons before retaking the road test.
1. How Much Does a Driving Licence in Dubai Cost?
Getting a driving license in Dubai can cost between AED 4,500 and AED 7,000, including administrative costs and the cost of driving lessons.
The driving school you pick will have a huge influence on how much it costs, so do your homework before enrolling in a driving school.
Also, if you do not pass the test on your first attempt, you will need to take extra driving lessons, which will raise your fees.
2. How Long Does It Take to Obtain a Dubai Driving licence?
In Dubai, getting your driving licence might take as little as two months. If you fail one of the tests, it will undoubtedly lengthen the procedure, especially because there are waiting periods between test tries.
Also, you should be aware that the amount of training hours you are needed to complete will influence how long it takes to obtain your license, and this is determined by your degree of driving experience:
Expected Training Hours:
- No driving experience: 40 hours
- 2 to 5 years of driving experience: 30 hours
- Over 5 years of driving experience: 20 hours
3. When is it necessary to renew your Dubai drivers licence?
A new driver’s license in Dubai is valid for two years, after which it must be renewed. It will be valid for ten years if you are a GCC or UAE citizen, and five years if you are a UAE resident when renewed.
Renewal of a driving license costs AED 120 if you are under the age of 21, and AED 320 if you are beyond the age of 21.
4. Can You Swap Your Foreign Driving License for a Dubai Driving License?
If you hold a valid driver’s license from one of the following countries, you can exchange it for a UAE driver’s license without having to take a driving test in Dubai, according to the RTA:
|Denmark||New Zealand||The Republic of Montenegro|
|France||People’s Republic of China||United States of America|
5. Can You Drive in Dubai with an International License?
If you have a valid international driver’s license, you can rent a car in the UAE as a tourist. The international driver’s license also permits you to drive an automobile registered to you or a member of your immediate family.
Obtaining a driving license in Dubai offers several advantages. It not only allows you more freedom to travel the UAE, but it may also lead to new career chances, as many occupations in the UAE demand a valid driver’s license.
However, despite the possible difficulties, acquiring a driver’s license in Dubai is absolutely doable and worthwhile with the proper preparation and instruction.
After you have your license and are ready to hit the road, you must first register with Salik, Dubai’s electronic road toll system.
Add a comment