Do you want to get an alcohol license in Dubai? We present you the whole process information, including prices and eligibility.
Dubai welcomes visitors and expats from all over the world. The city boasts a busy nightlife, and alcohol is commonly accessible all through the city. Nonetheless, alcohol purchase and use are regulated, which is why a liquor licence is required in Dubai. A Dubai drinking licence allows the holder to legally purchase, transport, and keep liquor in their home:
- Residents who wish to buy alcohol in Dubai must get a Dubai alcohol licence.
- Consuming alcohol at licensed restaurants and bars does not require a liquor licence, according to Dubai tourist laws. But, in order to purchase alcohol, you must first get a temporary licence.
- Prior until this, it was illegal to consume alcohol without a licence. Nevertheless, as alcohol consumption rules changed in 2020, this provision became obsolete.
Individuals who want to apply for an alcohol licence in Dubai should keep the following rules in mind:
- To obtain a Dubai alcohol licence, you must be over the age of 21.
- A liquor license in Dubai must be held by a non-Muslim.
- A valid Emirates ID is required for UAE citizens.
- Passports are required for tourists (Dubai entry stamp).
- Using your Emirates ID, go to Maritime and Mercantile International (MMI) or African + Eastern stores in Dubai.
- Submit the application.
- Wait for approval.
Please keep in mind:
After the licence has been authorized, you may pick it up at the pre-selected retailer.
A liquor licence in Dubai is valid for one year.
- Bring your original passport to any MMI or African + Eastern store in Dubai (bearing a Dubai entry stamp).
- Sign a form confirming that you are a visitor who is familiar with the laws regulating the purchase, transportation, and consumption of alcoholic beverages in Dubai.
Tourists are issued a temporary Dubai alcohol permit that is good for 30 days.
Liquor licences in Dubai are now free as of January 1, 2023.
HAS THE DUBAI MUNICIPALITY SUSPENDED ANY ALCOHOL TAX?
Indeed, the Dubai Municipality has postponed the 30% liquor tax from January 1st to December 31st, 2023. Tyrone Reid, Group CEO of Maritime and Mercantile International (MMI) & Emirates Leisure Retail, elaborated:
“The 30% municipality tax on alcoholic drinks has been eliminated, while the 5% VAT remains in effect.”
IS ALCOHOL SERVED IN DUBAI?
Yes of course, Dubai has a large number of licenced restaurants and pubs that provide alcoholic beverages.
ALCOHOL LICENCE: WHERE CAN I USE IT?
With a liquor licence, you may buy alcohol online or at African+Eastern or MMI stores in Dubai.
WHERE CAN YOU PURCHASE ALCOHOL IN DUBAI?
Maritime & Mercantile International (MMI) and African + Eastern are authorized alcohol stores in Dubai. In addition to these locations, Dubai Duty Free sells booze.
ABU DHABI LIQUOR LICENCE APPLICATION PROCESS
You may apply for an alcohol licence in Abu Dhabi by following this method.
That brings us to the end of our guide on obtaining an alcohol licence in Dubai. If this is your first vacation to Dubai, you should become familiar with the city’s dos and don’ts.
While Dubai is a sophisticated city, it is crucial to remember that the government maintains a zero-tolerance approach for anybody who violates the regulations. Driving under the influence of alcohol is absolutely forbidden under Dubai’s drinking regulations for both visitors and locals.