Drinking is illegal for Muslims in Abu Dhabi, like in the other emirates. Non-Muslims, on the other hand, can consume alcohol, but they must first get a liquor license in Abu Dhabi. Even if they have a license, they are only permitted to drink on the approved premises.
ABU DHABI LIQUOR LICENSE PROCESS
If you are a non-Muslim living in Abu Dhabi and wish to consume alcohol, you must go through the necessary procedures to get a liquor license in the city. To obtain such a license, you will need to submit specific papers as well as adhere to a number of restrictions.
Today, we’re going to provide you some pointers on how to apply for an alcohol license in Abu Dhabi.
ABU DHABI LIQUOR LICENCE TYPES
Before you apply for a liquor license, remember that there are many sorts of licenses available depending on your needs. A corporate license, for example, is required if you intend to serve liquor in a bar or restaurant. You will need an individual license if it is solely for you (to consume/purchase). Whatever your intentions are, be sure you have any of the following licenses from the Special License Office.
- Liquor Import License
- License to purchase and consume liquor
- License to distribute liquor to third parties
- License to serve liquor within a hotel, bar or restaurant
For a liquor license in Abu Dhabi, you may also apply online. It will save you the time and effort of personally visiting the Special License Office and acquiring a formal permission there.
ABU DHABI LIQUOR LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
A liquor license in Abu Dhabi is not available to everyone. For a liquor license in the city, there are specific conditions. Among them are:
- Muslims are not eligible to apply for a liquor license.
- To get a liquor license in Abu Dhabi, you must be at least 21 years old.
- You must be a UAE resident and earn more than AED 3000 each month.
- Married women can drink alcohol in Abu Dhabi if their husbands sign a No Objection Certificate (NOC).
- A trade license is required if you operate a business.
GETTING A LIQUOR LICENSE IN ABU DHABI
If you’re wondering how to apply for a liquor license in Abu Dhabi, visit the Special Licenses Office’s official website. The registration procedure entails the following steps:
- Make an account on the website.
- When applying for the first time, select a primary license option.
- Enter your passport number, monthly income, preferred retailer, and contact information.
- Submit your passport (front and back), salary certificate, and Emirate ID (back and front)
- You can proceed with the payment when you upload the papers.
DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO OBTAIN A LIQUOR LICENSE IN ABU DHABI
To get an individual license, the following documents is necessary. You must submit the following papers to get a corporation license:
- Applicant and third party details
- Details of the place where liquor will be sold
- Details of the storage area where liquor will be stored
- Fire precautions
- Amount of monthly liquor required
WHERE CAN I FIND ALCOHOL IN ABU DHABI?
After receiving your license, you can buy liquor from Spinneys, African+Eastern, and Gary Mackenzie & Partners. Spinneys has more than eight outlets in Abu Dhabi where you may buy alcohol, whereas African+Eastern has nine. Gary Mackenzie & Partners, on the other hand, only has one large store in the city where you can buy numerous sorts of alcohol. Euro Star Cellar and MMI are additional possibilities for people with an Abu Dhabi liquor license.
ABU DHABI LIQUOR LICENCE FOR TRAVELERS
If you’re a visitor wishing to buy alcohol in Abu Dhabi, you have two options: drink alcohol at restaurants or bars or visit any of the city’s African+Eastern stores. There are several bars in Abu Dhabi where you may get your favorite beverages. On the other hand, at the liquor stores, you will be required to fill out a short form stating that you are a visitor and understand the norms and restrictions of alcohol use and purchase in Abu Dhabi. You may then buy alcohol from these city retailers straight now!
ABU DHABI LIQUOR LICENSE FACTS
When applying for an alcohol license in Abu Dhabi, you should be aware of the following facts:
- After getting a license, you can spend 20% of your salary on alcohol per month.
- You can buy alcohol only from the designated beverage store.
- You can be penalised if caught drunk in public places as per UAE law.
- Your license can be withdrawn upon any violation of the laws.
- If your application gets rejected, you will need to apply again in a respective category.
- Your license is valid for one year. After the completion of one year, you will have to renew it.
With this post, we aim to have clarified the method for getting a liquor license in Abu Dhabi. It is important to inform yourself on the legal processes in Abu Dhabi so that you can live comfortably there. If you are looking for a liquor license in Dubai, please read our guide.
Add a comment